Wednesday, December 24, 2008

First Lesson

While it is tough to think back two and half years ago to the first lesson I learned in archery, aside from the basics of shooting safety, what comes to mind is the pleasure we can find if we follow our children's hearts.

My then six year old "Blessing" decided she wanted to be in a Renaissance Faire or the Olympics. Santa knowingly left a rudimentary bow and arrow for her under the tree. With only three arrows, the shooting was a tad boring. Shoot three, pick them up. Shoot three, pick them up. So off we went to that archery store we had seen, X-Ring Archery in Lambertville, New Jersey.

Jon Bach, the great guy that runs the store and school, was thrilled to see a newcomer looking to buy arrows, but he was even more adamant that my six year old take classes to learn how to shoot properly. Somehow he used his talents of persuasion and myself and my brother equivalent found ourselves enrolled alongside Blessing for archery school.

When we began class in September 2006, we never imagined that archery would be a glue to join us together as a family and lead us to making so many friends. My husband soon joined us in shooting, and now, we travel everywhere we can to take part in competitions, looking forward to seeing new friends from many places along the way.

Archery took its place in my heart as one of my biggest passions. It inspires me to take better care of myself, lets me share an activity with my pre-tween, and motivates me to try harder and learn more. Through this sport, I have learned so much more than how to stick an arrow in a target. I look forward to sharing those lessons here. And it all began because I followed my daughter--sometimes we do need to let the children lead the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment