Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The World Is Amazing

Today, I am avoiding practicing by working on my dissertation. The last few days it has become clear that I am putting too much stress and tension into my shot. So, I am here at the computer and not in the range. And then I read this compliments of an interview with Phillip Pullman:

Q: When you were talking about grace, it reminded me of Star Wars and Luke Skywalker learning how to use the light saber. His mentor was saying to him, "Stop trying so hard, just let it flow through your arm."

PP: Well, this is basically the same, isn't it? If you read Zen and the Art of Archery, the same thing is true in that. You become the bow and the arrow and the target, and once you are all three, then you stop thinking about it. If you are a cook, you don't just inhabit your body, you inhabit the saucepan and the eggs and the heat and the spoon. You are all of these things. Once you've sensed them all together, the sauce won't curdle.


What else can I say?


Parsons, Wendy, and Nicholson, Catriona. "Talking to Philip Pullman: An Interview." The Lion and the Unicorn 23.1 (1999): 116-134. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment